Bounds Walls, Ushaw College
Bounds Walls, Ushaw College, Durham DH7 9RH View on map
The Bounds Walls, Grade II*, by Joseph Hansom 1852, were built to enclose the north and north east arcs of a playing field and include courts for games in three large open courts and six smaller covered courts. The structure follows an approximate arc of a circle and extends to some 130m in length, and terminating in a "ha-ha" wall at the east end. They replaced previous simpler versions to the west. The games played were peculiar to Ushaw College: two versions of handball and a battledore game which was regularly played by students until the 1980s. The games are believed to have their roots in Douai, France, and may have influence from Irish handball games.
Main building open Wed-Sat 11am-4pm (last entry 3pm). Open days begin on 20th March 2019. Free access to the walls, approaching from the drives and car parks to the south and west
- Adult: £5 annual pass
- Child: £2 annual pass, under 12
- Other Charges: Price for main building, free access to walls
Road: 4.5 miles west of Durham City, between the villages of Bearpark and Esh. Rail: Durham (4.5 miles) Bus; Arriva U1 University service available to the public from Durham City and SB52.
No charge for parking