Briton's Arms, 9 Elm Street
Briton's Arms, 9 Elm Street, Norwich, Norfolk NR3 1HN View on map
The Britons Arms was saved from the disastrous fire of 1507 which destroyed most of the surrounding medieval buildings, making this a rare survival. It lies on the north side of the churchyard of St Peter Hungate, with its west elevation and gabled north elevation tight against the cobbled Elm Hill roadway as it runs steeply downhill. The rectangular building of three storeys plus attics is (above the first floor) timber framed under a thatched roof and variously jettied on three sides except the east elevation is solid masonry. The building is divided approximately into two halves by a masonry cross-wall incorporating a central chimney stack. This originally housed flues for fireplaces on the ground, first, second and attic floors, but it is supposed that some of these have been lost over time.
- Grant Recipient: Norwich Buildings Preservation Trust
- Contact for access: Ms Chloe Canning Trigg
⚠️ Coronavirus: We do not expect any grant-aided properties to be open at the current time.