Muslim Burial Ground, Monument Road
Muslim Burial Ground, Monument Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 5TB View on map
Designed by architect T.H. Winney and completed in 1917 by local firm, Ashby & Horner, the site soon became the final resting place of 19 Muslim soldiers from the Great War and a further eight casualties of the Second World War. In 1969, following the exhumation of the servicemen’s remains by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to the nearby Brookwood Military Cemetery, Horsell Common Preservation Society took ownership of the site. Opened by the Earl of Wessex in November 2015, the restored site and new Peace Garden features 27 Himalayan Birch trees representing the number of servicemen buried at the site, a water feature incorporating a memorial stone bearing their names, bold strips of pink and white heather orientated towards Mecca, scented plants such as Rosa Rugosa and Sarcococca Orientalis, two stone ceremonial prayer mats and benches.
Open sunrise to sunset all year
- Open on Heritage Open Day
Located in the south east corner of Horsell Common on Monument Road, GU21 5LW and a short distance from the Shah Jahan Mosque (the UK’s first purpose-built Mosque). Woking Rail Station - approx. 1 1/4 mile walk (20 -25 mins) Bus Route - Numbers 436, 556, 557 Woking Station to Walton Road - approx. 500m to the garden
Planning to have coach & disabled layby on Monument Road adjacent to the footpath leading to the garden.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes