Squires Monument, NW of Church of St James
Squires Monument, NW of Church of St James, Melton Road, Burton Lazars, Melton, Leicestershire LE14 2UR View on map
Chest tomb surmounted by elaborate monument. Erected by the executors of William Squire, d.1781. Limestone, formerly painted and gilt, with iron railing. Oval plinth of 3 steps. Moulded chest with corner volutes and to south, illegible inscribed panel. At each end a circular pier, decorated with relief panels, with symbols of Death, each topped by a globe. Above, a sarcophagus on volutes, with an oval figurative panel at each end. Above again, resting on 4 balls, a tall concave sided decorated obelisk, with an oval perforation containing an urn, and topped with a ball finial. Against the obelisk, figures representing Faith and Hope. The monument is surrounded by a spiked railing and is approximately 6M high.
There is free access, the monument is clearly visible in the grave yard.
In the grave yard of St James church, Burton Lazars. The monument is clearly visible from the road, A60. It is immediately on the right hand side after entering through the gate on Cross Lane. Rail: Melton Mowbray. Bus: no. 19.
There is a layby next to the church. It is often possible to park in the village hall car park on the opposite side of the A606.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes