On-site archaeologists discussing methods for excavating an Iron Age furnace at Messingham.

About this image

On-site excavation and sampling strategy discussions about an Iron Age furnace between the specialist, science advisor, site director and project manager at Messingham, North Lincolnshire. © Oxford Archaeology East, Lindsey Kemp.

Professional Associations for the Heritage Sector

Joining a professional association is a good way to demonstrate your commitment to good practice in the sector, not only to your peers but also to potential employers or clients. Membership also provides learning and career development opportunities.

The professional associations listed here all:

  • Set minimum levels of competence for membership
  • Validate membership applications through examination of candidates' experience and knowledge
  • Require members to follow a code of practice
  • Make sure that members carry out agreed levels of continuing professional development (CPD)

Professional associations' contact information

Chartered Institute for Archaeologists

(CIfA) the leading professional body representing archaeologists working in the UK and overseas.
SHES, The University of Reading, Whiteknights, PO Box 227, Reading RG6 6AB.
Tel 0118 378 6446 (Note - please check the website for new office and phone contacts after 4th December 2017).

Institute of Historic Building Conservation 

(IHBC) the professional body for building conservation practitioners and historic environment experts working in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
IHBC, Jubilee House, High Street, Tisbury, Wiltshire, SP3 6HA.
Tel 01747 873133

Royal Institute of British Architects 

(RIBA) the professional body for architects and architecture in the UK. Its members include architects specialising in conservation work.
RIBA, 66 Portland Place, London W1B 1AD.
Tel: 020 7580 5533

Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists

(CIAT) the qualifying body for Architectural Technology.
397 City Road, London EC1V 1NH.
Tel: 020 7278 2206.

Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers 

(CIBSE) the prime source of expertise in the Building Services industry.
CIBSE, 222 Balham High Road, London SW12 9BS
Tel: 020 8675 5211

Institute of Conservation 

(ICON) the lead voice for the conservation of cultural heritage in the UK.
ICON, 1.5 Lafone House, The Leathermarket, Weston Street, London SE1 3ER.
Tel: 020 3142 6786

Chartered Institute of Horticulture

The professional voice for horticulture.
Horticulture House, Chilton, Didcot, Oxfordshire OX11 0RN
Tel: 03330 050 181

Institution of Civil Engineers

ICE, One Great George Street, Westminster, London, SW1P 3AA.
Tel: 020 7222 7722

Institution of Structural Engineers

IStructE, 47-58 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PS.
Tel: 020 7235 4535

Landscape Institute

The Royal Chartered body for Landscape architects and Landscape professionals.
Charles Darwin House, 12 Roger Street, London, WC1N 2JU,
Tel: 020 7685 2640

Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

RICS, Parliament Square, London SW1P 3AD.
Tel: 0870 333 1600


Was this page helpful?