Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Church Street, Littlehampton - Arun

A large imposing geometric red brick church located in the town centre of Littlehampton. Originally constructed in 1826 by George Draper on the site of a medieval church and then transformed in1935 by WH Randoll Blacking. It has an impressive galleried interior. The interior of the tower, aisles and galleries above are in poor condition with water damage, structural problems in the tower, erosion of stone around the windows and loss of plaster on walls of the gallery. Further investigations and a comprehensive programme of repairs are necessary.

Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Church Street, Littlehampton - Arun
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1353769
    Local Planning Authority:
    Arun
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin
    Street Name:
    Church Street
    County:
    West Sussex
    District / Borough:
    Arun
    Parish:
    Littlehampton
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Bognor Regis and Littlehampton
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA