Church of St Lawrence, Caversfield (A41), Caversfield - Cherwell

Saxon, possibly C10 base to the west tower and bell stage rebuilt in the C13 with a saddleback roof covered in plain clay tiles. Late C12 rebuilding of the chancel and nave; the chancel being remodelled in the C13. Henry Woodyer, in 1874, rebuilt the aisles, "restored" the chancel and added the north vestry. The nave and aisle roofs are very steep; covered in thin, stonesfield limestone stone slates, with a central cast iron gutter. Water ingress occurring and repairs are needed. An unsuccessful application for a Heritage Lottery Fund Grants for Places of Worship was made in 2017.

Church of St Lawrence, Caversfield (A41), Caversfield - Cherwell
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1046533
    Local Planning Authority:
    Cherwell
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Lawrence
    Street Name:
    A41
    County:
    Oxfordshire
    District / Borough:
    Cherwell
    Parish:
    Caversfield
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Banbury
    Region:
    South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*