Church of St John the Baptist, Pitfield Street, Hackney N1 - Hackney

St John the Baptist, a Commissioners' church funded under the 1818 Act, was completed in 1826 by Francis Edwards, a pupil of Sir John Soane. Built of stock bricks contained within limestone dressings under a slated roof, the spacious interior has galleries on three sides and a fine early C20 painted ceiling by J A Reeve. The tower and galleried cupola at the west end have structural problems due to the rusting of embedded cramps. These are causing jacking in the masonry above roof level, which needs to be addressed.

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1235285
    Local Planning Authority:
    Hackney
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St John the Baptist
    Street Name:
    Pitfield Street
    Locality:
    Hackney
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Hackney
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Hackney South and Shoreditch
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*

Contact Details

Ian Harper 020 7973 3786