Church of St Andrew, The Street, Alderton - Suffolk Coastal

Parish church with ruinous west tower. Chancel rebuilt in1862 and the nave restored in 1864. The condition of the drainage and guttering is unclear; however, there is significant evidence of damp within the church interior. The ruinous tower is blocked off from the nave and is overgrown by trees and shrubs. Slow decay continues; no solution yet agreed for either the church or the ruinous tower. Ivy growth partially killed off; some work appears to have been completed.

Church of St Andrew, The Street, Alderton - Suffolk Coastal
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1377186
  • Local Planning Authority: Suffolk Coastal
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Andrew
  • Street Name: The Street
  • County: Suffolk
  • District / Borough: Suffolk Coastal
  • Parish: Alderton
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Suffolk Coastal
  • Region: East of England

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II

Contact Details

Trudi Hughes 01223 582739

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England