Church of St Paul, West Street, Brighton - Brighton and Hove, City of (UA)

A church designed by Richard Cromwell Carpenter in 1846-8 and built by George Cheeseman. The tower and spire are by Richard Herbert Carpenter. The narthex, Fishermen's Institute (west end) and covered way are by George Frederick Bodley. Large fragments of stone and flint have fallen from the tower, which is adjacent to a busy shopping street. Temporary protection has been provided.

Church of St Paul, West Street, Brighton - Brighton and Hove, City of (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST PAUL AND ATTACHED WALLS
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1381098
    Local Planning Authority:
    Brighton and Hove, City of (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Paul
    Street Name:
    West Street
    Locality:
    Brighton
    Unitary Authority:
    Brighton and Hove, City of (UA)
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Brighton, Pavilion
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*