Church of St Mary, Church Road, Cowes - Isle of Wight (UA)

Large town church adjacent to Northwood Park. The west tower was designed by John Nash in 1816 and the rest of the church was rebuilt in 1867. Built of stone with banded slate roof. Historic England/National Lottery Heritage Fund grant-aided repairs to tower and north roof slopes completed but further repairs needed including to the south aisle roof and internal brickwork to west end of south clerestorey. Historic England has encouraged further grant applications to be made.

Church of St Mary, Church Road, Cowes - Isle of Wight (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST MARY
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1222748
    Local Planning Authority:
    Isle of Wight (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Mary
    Street Name:
    Church Road
    Unitary Authority:
    Isle of Wight (UA)
    Parish:
    Cowes
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Isle of Wight
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA