Church of St George the Martyr, Georges Road, Preston - Preston

City centre church, originally dated 1725, enlarged in 1799, and encased in stone in 1843 with the addition of the tower. Chancel added 1848 and interior re-modelled in 1884. Nave has side aisles and transepts with later apsidal chancel. Three-stage tower attached to the west end of the south aisle. Six-bay nave with arcades to north and south. Significant issues associated with the 1843 stone encasement of the earlier church, including multiple fracturing of the stone caused by expanding iron cramps.

Church of St George the Martyr, Georges Road, Preston - Preston
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE THE MARTYR
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1217949
  • Local Planning Authority: Preston
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St George the Martyr
  • Street Name: Georges Road
  • Locality: Preston
  • County: Lancashire
  • District / Borough: Preston
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Preston
  • Region: North West

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA

Contact Details

Peter Barlow 0161 242 1428

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England