Church of St Margaret, Church Lane, Thimbleby - East Lindsey

The church is a rebuilding by James Fowler of 1879, of Spilsby sandstone with Ancaster Limestone dressings. The spire and belfry turret stonework has been seriously eroded by migrating salts. The spire was considered unsafe and dismantled in 2014. The turret stonework was in very poor condition. Ground drainage was not functioning and the rainwater disposal system was inadequate. Major repairs funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund Grants for Places of Worship scheme have been completed, but some further repair work will be required.

Church of St Margaret, Church Lane, Thimbleby - East Lindsey
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1147090
    Local Planning Authority:
    East Lindsey
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Margaret
    Street Name:
    Church Lane
    County:
    Lincolnshire
    District / Borough:
    East Lindsey
    Parish:
    Thimbleby
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Louth and Horncastle
    Region:
    Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Fair
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA