Church of St Giles, Main Street, Darlton - Bassetlaw

Former church, probably early C13. The church was largely rebuilt in 1855 by Hine and Evans, with the chancel rebuilt in 1863. The building has suffered from widespread structural movement with vertical cracks to several elevations. The tiled roofs have numerous defects and the junction between nave and chancel is open to the elements, allowing water to penetrate the building. Rainwater goods are defective, there are self-set trees in the valley gutter between the north vestry and chancel and there are blocked hoppers elsewhere. The building is being marketed.

Church of St Giles, Main Street, Darlton - Bassetlaw
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1212465
  • Local Planning Authority: Bassetlaw
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Giles
  • Street Name: Main Street
  • County: Nottinghamshire
  • District / Borough: Bassetlaw
  • Parish: Darlton
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Newark
  • Region: East Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Very bad
  • Occupancy / Use: Vacant/not in use
  • Priority: A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: A
  • Ownership: Religious organisation

Contact Details

David Walsh 01472 399976

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England