Woodhorn Colliery, east & west shaft head gear and Walker fan house, Ashington - Northumberland (UA)

The first shaft to the former Woodhorn Colliery was sunk in 1894. Production stopped in 1981 and the site opened as a museum in 1989. Repairs were completed to the east shaft head gear and enclosing structure in 2014. Significant corrosion has reappeared and the enclosing structure is leaking. The roof to the adjoining Walker Fan House is also leaking and the steelwork to the west shaft head gear is corroding and in need of repair. Discussions are underway about a prioritised programme of capital repair and maintenance works to the site as a whole.

Woodhorn Colliery, east & west shaft head gear and Walker fan house, Ashington - Northumberland (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Woodhorn Colliery
  • Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
  • List Entry Number: 1016976
  • Local Planning Authority: Northumberland (UA)
  • Site Type: Industrial > Mining industry site

Location

  • Building Name: Woodhorn Colliery
  • Unitary Authority: Northumberland (UA)
  • Parish: Ashington
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Wansbeck
  • Region: North East

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Poor
  • Occupancy / Use: Part occupied/part in use
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Ownership: Local authority
  • Designation: Scheduled Monument, 2 LBs

Contact Details

David Farrington 0191 269 1230

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England