Chapel of Light, the former Church of St Columba, Cornhill Road, Sunderland - Sunderland

A large red brick church of 1888-90 by the prolific ecclesiastical architect Charles Hodgson Fowler. Italianate in style, it contains a complete scheme of interior decoration by the artist James Eadie-Reid, including a series of wall paintings. The paintings are starting to deteriorate due to water penetration and dampness caused, in part, by defective rainwater gutters and pipes and by the absence of an efficient internal heating system. A strategy for the building's future is being developed.

Chapel of Light, the former Church of St Columba, Cornhill Road, Sunderland - Sunderland
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1208179
    Local Planning Authority:
    Sunderland
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Chapel of Light
    County:
    Tyne and Wear
    District / Borough:
    Sunderland
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Sunderland Central
    Region:
    North East and Yorkshire

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II