Church of St John the Evangelist - Cheshire West and Chester (UA)

Mid-Victorian Gothic 1879 complex comprising; a parish hall (a former school); lychgate and church with circular bell tower to the south west corner. It is the conical stone roof tower that has a major fault with an expanding iron ring embedded within the stonework above the paired lancet windows of the bell chamber. The iron band has fractured the entire course of stone and the top of the tower will have to be dismantled to facilitate the repair.

Church of St John the Evangelist - Cheshire West and Chester (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Church Of St John The Evangelist And Parish Hall Including Boundary Walls And Railings, Gates And Gateposts, And Lychgate
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1438484
    Local Planning Authority:
    Cheshire West and Chester (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St John the Evangelist
    Street Name:
    Great Sutton
    Unitary Authority:
    Cheshire West and Chester (UA)
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Ellesmere Port and Neston
    Region:
    North West

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II