Martello Tower "E", 300 metres south west of junction of Marine Parade West and Wash Lane, Clacton on Sea - Tendring

One of 29 Martello towers originally built along the east coast 1808-12, against the threat of French invasion. The forward battery was destroyed in1819. The tower contains a large water tank, inserted after 1935 when the tower became incorporated into a holiday camp. Access by ladder to first floor. Suffers from water ingress and loss of render. Discussions held with Tendring District Council regarding repairs to defective external render and a beneficial use. Historic England has funded a feasibility study for repair and reuse, and options are currently being reviewed.

Martello Tower "E", 300 metres south west of junction of Marine Parade West and Wash Lane, Clacton on Sea - Tendring
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Martello tower E, 300m south west of junction of Marine Parade West and Wash Lane, Clacton-on-Sea
  • Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
  • List Entry Number: 1016554
  • Local Planning Authority: Tendring
  • Site Type: Defence > Coastal defence site

Location

  • Building Name: Martello Tower "E"
  • Locality: Clacton on Sea
  • County: Essex
  • District / Borough: Tendring
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Clacton
  • Region: East of England

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Poor
  • Occupancy / Use: Vacant/not in use
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Local authority
  • Designation: Scheduled Monument and Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number(s): 1016554 and 1337150

Contact Details

Deborah Priddy 01223 582720

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England