Bill Brant (1904 - 1983) was born in Germany. His photographic career began in Vienna in 1928 and continued in Paris. Brandt moved to England in 1930 where his photojournalism captured the life and conditions of England during the Depression and war. Alongside this, in 1941 he began work for the National Buildings Record, helping create a photographic record of churches and cathedrals, in case of bomb damage, continuing until 1943. From near the end of the war onwards he began more experimental work in portraiture, landscape and the nude. The collection contains 446 negatives and 446 gelatine prints (2 prints without negatives and 2 negatives without prints) showing interiors, exteriors and details taken by Bill Brandt for the National Buildings Record between 1941 and 1943. These include: churches, streets and the cathedral of Chichester plus prominent buildings e.g. Bishop's Palace and Gate, the Deanery, the Market Cross; churches of Canterbury and the cathedral, largely its monuments plus some interiors; the monuments, interiors and exteriors of Rochester Cathedral, plus the Deanery; churches of Colchester; and interiors of Spencer House, Westminster - Lord Spencer's Sitting Room, the Painted Room and Ballroom.
This Collection contains the following materials:
© Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Brandt, Bill
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.