Collection: Scrapbook of Frederick Smith relating to The Priory and Brierley Hill, Dudley

1864 - 1892
Collection containing Photographic material
Placeholder image for archive collection
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


This material has not yet been fully catalogued. Copyright, date, and quantity information for this record may be incomplete or inaccurate.

The collection comprises a hardback scrapbook containing photographs, letters, newspaper cuttings, party invitations, menu cards and other printed ephemera. The scrapbook was compiled by Captain Frederick Smith between 1876 and 1892 although several items, including photographs, are earlier.

The original purpose of the volume was as a visiting book for The Priory, Dudley and records names and dates of visitors. It then became used as a scrapbook for newspaper cuttings of which many relate to events involving the Earl of Dudley, The Priory, the town of Dudley and nearby Brierley Hill, and Smith himself. Of particular note are cuttings and photographs relating to an accident and rescue in March 1869 at Nine Locks Colliery, Brierley Hill; and the opening of a fountain in Dudley by the Earl; and a fountain at Brierley Hill by Smith.

Archival History

Captain Frederick S. Smith MA., JP. was general manager of the Earl of Dudley's Mining Affairs until 1870. He also held the positions as Mayor of Dudley (1865) and Deputy Lieutenant of Staffordshire. Smith changed his name to Frederick Smith Shenstone in 1871 when he took over Sutton Hall in East Sussex.

The collection was acquired by the NMR in 1997.


This Collection is divided into 1 Child Volume
This Collection contains the following materials:
Photograph (Print): 33
Photograph Album: 1


© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Creator of Archive: Smith, Frederick