Collection: Walter Scott Archive

1920 - 1953
Collection containing Photographic, Textual and Miscellaneous material
Placeholder image for archive collection
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


This material has not yet been fully catalogued. Copyright, date, and quantity information for this record may be incomplete or inaccurate.

Large collection of negatives, prints and postcards which form the archive collection of the Walter Scott postcard company. The firm was established in 1905 by Walter Scott [1878 - 1947] and produced high quality postcards on a national scale. The photography mostly dates from the 1930's and the postcard prints are derived from much larger scale negatives.

Although most of the photographs were taken in the interwar years some are post-war, including those taken at a site previously photographed and recorded as 'new neg' alongside the original record in the Walter Scott registers. As the business was sold after Walter Scott's death in 1947, continuing to operate under the same name, some of the material may have been produced after his death.

Archival History

The collection consists of a complete set of albums holding 100 series of postcards. Each series is a different geographical location (a handlist of series titles is on file). The negatives from which each postcard was produced are also held in either half or whole plate form. The whole plate negatives are for larger scale images of detail the half plate for smaller scale images. The 100 postcard series is accompanied by a set of ledgers giving the caption and negative number. The material has been transferred to archival boxes for storage but is maintained in is original sequence.


This Collection is divided into 5 Child Series
This Collection contains the following materials:
Photograph (Negative): 3,000
Photograph (Negative): 20,000
Photograph (Negative): 2,000
Photograph (Positive): 10,000
Photograph (Postcard - Photographic): 10,000
Photograph (Transparency): 1,500
Photograph Album: 100
Daybook: 3
Miscellaneous: 4


© Historic England Archive

Source: Historic England Archive