Collection: William Strudwick Collection
- Date:
- 1860 - 1870
- Location:
- Lambeth, LAMBETH, GREATER LONDON AUTHORITY
- Reference:
- WXS01
- Type:
- Collection containing Photographic and Electronic material
A collection of twenty-seven negatives of Lambeth taken by the local photographer William Strudwick, showing the Thames foreshore and the industrial buildings and shipyards in the area in the 1860s. The photographs are centred around Fore Street, and many are populated by local tradesmen and residents, including children. They are an important record of Lambeth before the construction of the Albert Embankment in the second half of the 1860s, when much of what is shown in the photographs was demolished.
The negatives held by the archive were created by the NMR in 1994 from the original prints. The prints are modern prints from the copy negatives.
The photographer, William Strudwick, was born in London in 1834 and lived in Lambeth and West Dulwich. He worked at the Victoria and Albert Museum, but also as a draftsman, architect and artist. He was admitted to Croydon Union Workhouse in 1910, where he died the same year.
These annotated copy prints were copied by the NMR in 1994 from original Strudwick prints in the possession of the late Peter Jackson [former Chairman of the London Topographical Society]. Negatives of these prints are in the NMR archive with the references BB94/20526 - BB94/20552.
Source: Historic England Archive
Photographer: Strudwick, William
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.