Exterior view from the east of Number 2 Mill, formerly known as Warehouse B, at Trent Corn Mills, showing the boat arch

Date:
Nov 1960
Location:
Trent Corn Mills, Number 2 Warehouse, London Road, Shardlow And Great Wilne, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire
Show all locations
Clock Warehouse, London Road, Shardlow And Great Wilne, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire
Reference:
AA60/04515
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This warehouse was built in 1780 by the Cavendish Bridge Boat Company. From the 1820's it was called B warehouse.

F E Stevens Ltd (1928), corn miller and merchant, leased a number of Shardlow warehouses, including this one which they then purchased in 1937. They introduced the name No2 Mill by 1940 and extended the building with large sheds for this use. They ceased trading by 1975.

The builders Walkerdine Ltd purchased the derelict warehouse and fully retored it as a canal museum and tearoom by 1980, when the No2 Mill sign was removed and the earlier sign 'Navigation from the Trent to the Mersey' was reinstated. Since 1995 the building has been a public house.

Content

This is part of the Collection: EDM01 Eric De Mare

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: De Mare, Eric

Keywords

Georgian Warehouse