Exterior view of the north side of St Mary and St Germain's Church, formerly known as Selby Abbey, with the tower in the background

Date:
1940 - 1962
Location:
St Mary And St Germain Church, Selby, North Yorkshire
Show all locations
Selby Abbey, Selby, North Yorkshire
Reference:
AA62/07248
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Exterior view of the north side of Selby abbey, seen from the east. The north side has buttresses topped with crenellated pinnacles and an openwork stone carving that lines the roof over each widow. In the background is the tower with a clock face underneath the uppermost row of windows. The Abbey is now known at St Mary and St Germain's Church, but was founded as the abbey in 1069 by the Benedictine Order. The abbey was dissolved in 1536.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Benedictine Abbey