Exterior view of the west front of St Mary the Virgin's Minster Church, taken at an angle so the north sides and the Chapter House are visible, with the churchyard in the foreground

Date:
1940 - 1949
Location:
Minster Church Of St Mary The Virgin, Church Street, Southwell, Newark And Sherwood, Nottinghamshire
Reference:
BB57/00140
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Description

Exterior view of the west front of the minster church, with a central doorway with four columns and rounded arches. Above is a window that reaches to the top of the west side. Each end has a tower of around six storeys and pyramid spires, although the spires are not visible in the image. The spires were removed in 1801 by Richard Ingleman, and reinstalled in 1880 by Ewan Christian. The attached chapter house is octagonal in shape and has an octagonal spire and is situated at the eastern end of the north side. In the foreground is part of the churchyard with headstones in front of the north side.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Minster, Medieval Church, Medieval Chapter House

Back
to top