Exterior view of the west front of St Mary the Virgin's Minster Church

Date:
1940 - 1949
Location:
Minster Church Of St Mary The Virgin, Church Street, Southwell, Newark And Sherwood, Nottinghamshire
Reference:
BB57/00141
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Description

Closer view of the west front of the minster church, with the full height of the spires shown. Each pyramid spire sits on a tower at each end of the west front, and were reinstalled in 1880 after they were removed in 1801 by Richard Ingleman. The west end has a central doorway with four columns and rounded arches. Above is a large central window which reached the full height of the west front.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Minster, Medieval Church

Back
to top