Looking to the east end of the nave from inside the ruins at Fountains Abbey

Date:
1940 - 1949
Location:
Fountains Abbey, Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, Fountains Abbey Estate, Harrogate, North Yorkshire
Reference:
BB57/00158
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Description

A view of the east end of the nave, taken from inside the nave ruins. The photographer seems to be stood at the far right, on the south side of the nave, and the trefoil-headed recesses on the north side are clearly visible. The abbey was founded by Cistercian monks in 1132, and the main building periods took place between 1170-1247 and the late 15th century to the early 16th century. The abbey was owned by many people after the dissolution, and is currently owned by the National Trust.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Cistercian Abbey

Back
to top