Exterior view of Newark Castle, most likely seen from the south side of the castle grounds, with visitors in the foreground

Date:
1940 - 1949
Location:
Newark Castle, Castlegate, Newark, Newark And Sherwood, Nottinghamshire
Reference:
BB57/00161
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Description

View of the south sides of the castle, as seen from the south in the castle grounds. In the centre is a large archway, possibly part of the gatehouse, with two storeys above it, and a squared tower to the right. There is a small door at the bottom of the tower facing eastwards, and three storeys of windows above it. In the foreground is part of the grounds, which were opened in 1889 as a public park and as a Jubilee Memorial to Queen Victoria. There are two benches on the left side, with a man sat on the closest bench, and three figures, two potentially children, on the furthest bench.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Castle

Back
to top