Exterior view of the derelict St Matthew's Church from the south-west
- Mar 1971
- St Matthew's Church, Wakefield Road, Lighcliffe, Calderdale
- Photograph (Negative)
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.
St Matthew’s Church was built in 1775 but stood on the site of an earlier chapel of ease. After the newer St Matthew’s Church was built to the west in 1874, it was used as a mortuary chapel. Storm damage occurred in the 1960s and the building became derelict. The main body of the church was demolished in the 1970s or 1980s, but the tower remains standing.
This is part of the Job: 05/01514 St Matthew's Church, Wakefield Road, Lightcliffe; within the Sub Series: RCH01/002/013 RCHME Architectural Requests: Calderdale; within the Series: RCH01/002 Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England: Architectural Requests; within the Collection: RCH01 Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England (RCHME) Archive
© Crown Copyright. Historic England Archive
Photographer: Bassham, Cyril John: Royal Commission On The Historical Monuments Of England