St Mary-le-Bow was rebuilt by Christopher Wren after the Great Fire of London in 1666. During the Second World War it was almost destroyed by bombing on 10th May 1941 with incendiary bombs causing a fire which sent the bells in its tower crashing down to the ground. The tower was left standing and restoration of the church began in 1956.
© Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Prickett, Charles William
Stuart Parish Church, Bomb Damage, Second World War