Church Of The Holy Trinity

Date:
14 May 2000
Location:
Church Of The Holy Trinity, Front Street, Pelton, Chester Le Street, Durham
Reference:
IOE01/00001/19
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

PELTON FRONT STREET NZ 25 SW (North side) 3/53 Church of the 15/8/85 Holy Trinity II

Parish church. 1841-2 by George Jackson. Dressed stone and purple slate roof.

West tower and spire; aisleless nave and south porch; chancel and north vestry.

Early English style.

West tower: square-plan lower stage, gabled on west, has pointed doorway, with colonnettes, loop and blind trefoil in gable; roof of lower stage dying into octagonal clock tower; octagonal belfry has trefoil-headed bell openings, each under a crocketed gablet; octagonal spire and finial. 4-bay nave has plinth, moulded sill band and recessed bays, between buttresses, with single lancets and corbel tables. West and east ends have clasping buttresses surmounted by octagonal turrets with spirelets: single lancets flanking tower; pierced trefoils flanking chancel roof. Shouldered south doorway within porch.

Steeply-pitched roof with coped gables. Small 3-bay chancel has plinth, sill and eaves bands; 3 lancets on south; 3 stepped lancets under hoodmould on angle-buttressed east end. Steeply-pitched roof with coped east gable. Gabled porch has clasping buttresses; pointed doorway with colonnettes; corbel tables on returns. 2-bay gabled vestry with boiler-house in basement; pointed east door and 2-light mullioned windows above.

Plastered interior. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on moulded corbels.

Elaborate nave roof: 6 king-post trusses and hammerbeam truss at west end; alternate trusses have arched braces with pierced trefoils in spandrels. 1853 font with octagonal bowl on squat pier and moulded base. 1855 rood screen of carved oak with drop tracery and cresting. Stained glass: chancel east window and south window (commemorating cholera outbreak) 1849 by Wailes; nave south window (after Hunt's 'Light of the World') 1911 by Wailes and Strang; also in nave, south window 1977 by Selwyn Beattie, north window 1969 by L.C. Evetts.

Listing NGR: NZ2466453046

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Cottrell_Bob IOE Records for Cottrell, Bob; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cottrell, Bob

Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob

Keywords

Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship