This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SP 07 NE BIRMINGHAM KING'S HEATH (West side)
17/10190 Brandwood End Cemetery Chapels at SP 0705 7991
Pair of cemetery chapels. 1898; by J Brewill Holmes, for Kings Norton and Northfield Urban District Council. Terracotta and red brick. Westmorland slate roofs in diminishing courses and pierced ridge tiles. STYLE: Free Perpendicular style. PLAN: pair of chapels linked by central tower with carriageway tl1rough; the chapels each have an apse at the NW end and porches at the sides. EXTERIOR: symmetrical composition. SE [liturgical W] elevation, the gables of the flanking chapels have two 3-light windows with Perpendicular panel tracery and ogee hoodmoulds; large buttress surmounted by tall pinnacles, cusped oculus above also with ogee hoodmould and panelled gable apex with pinnacles and lona cross; small gables to vestries in angles and large tower at centre with tall moulded 4-centred arch carriageway with ogee hoodmould, weathered set-offs to buttresses, lancet bell-openings, crocketed pinnacles, battlements and terracotta needle spire with small lucarnes. The NW [liturgical E] elevation is sllnilar but has gabled apses with 4-light windows and wheel apex crosses. The SW and NE sides have buttressed and pinnacled porches with lona crosses at gable apexes and lancet windows- INTERIOR: plastered walls contrasting with terracotta windows, doorframes and chancel arches. Arch-braced roofs on terracotta corbels. Pews intact, with shaped ends. Stained glass windows. The NE chapel was gutted by fire in 1995.
Listing NGR: SP0705079910
Copyright IoE Mr Geoff Dowling. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Dowling, Geoff
Rights Holder: Dowling, Geoff
Brick, Lake District Slate, Terracotta, Victorian Cemetery Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship