This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SP 0686 NW BIRMINGHAM BROAD STREET
997/32/10195 Hall of Memory
First World War memorial. 1923-4, by S.N.Cooke and W.N.Twist, With sculpture by Albert Toft and William Bloye. Portland stone ashlar on granite ashlar plinth. Stone dome roof. Roman Doric style. Octagonal on plan, or square with splayed corners; and porticos on each of the long sides. Broad pilasters at the corners, Doric entablature with deep cornice and attic above, on top of which is a low drum and a shallow stone dome. Pedimented Roman Doric porticos with carved stone relief panels above and splayed corners with four large bronze figures by Albert Toft, depicting the armed services. Including the podium with a wide flight of steps each side and quadrant corners. INTERIOR: Broad pilasters in the corners supporting entablature and octagonal coffered dome with lantern light. Between the pilasters, on the short sides, niches and marble benches; on the long sides there are three carved stone panels by William Bloye, depicting soldiers leaving home, in action and returning home after the War. At the centre of the marble floor a Sienna marble sarcophagus with a bronze casket containing the Roll of Honour. Geometric pattern stained glass windows. SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.116.
Listing NGR: SP0640986838
Copyright IoE Mr Geoff Dowling. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Dowling, Geoff
Rights Holder: Dowling, Geoff
Ashlar, Granite, Stone, 20th Century War Memorial, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument