This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SP 0686 NW BIRMINGHAM BROAD STREET (south side)
997/32/10167 Former Birmingham Municipal Bank (TSB)
GV II Bank. 1931, by T. Cecil Howitt. Portland stone and granite ashlar. Roof concealed. PLAN: Rectangular plan with entrance, in recessed centre of front behind colonnade, to large rectangular banking hall surrounded by offices. Monumental classical style building. EXTERIOR: Centre of north front breaks forward With Tetrastyle colonnade of giant Ionic columns in antis with broad terminal piers, flanked by blind rusticated walls with recessed corners, the returns of the recesses have tall and narrow decorative grilles; the entablature has a tall parapet and blind attic above set back, with a carved frieze. Behind the colonnade, 5 bays, the windows with architraves, the ground floor with grilles and with roundels above; central round-arched doorway in moulded architrave with rosettes and with bronze doors and fanlight grille; flanking the doorway ornate bronze lanterns. The side elevations have 1:7:1 bays, the end bays advanced, the windows in moulded architraves, those on ground floor with cornices and pediments on consoles, the tall parapet reduced at the centre to reveal round arched attic windows. INTERIOR: Large banking hall clad in polished limestone, the arcaded side walls with barley-twist arris mouldings to the arches and with carved roundels above; the front wall has small balconettes and grilles; the ceiling is coffered. SOURCE: Buildings of England, page 116.
Listing NGR: SP0636386740
Copyright IoE Mr Geoff Dowling. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Dowling, Geoff
Rights Holder: Dowling, Geoff
Ashlar, Granite, 20th Century Bank (Financial), Commercial