This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SP 08 NE BIRMINGHAM WARSTONE LANE
997/7/10184 Number 172, Rose Villa Tavern Public House
Includes: Rose Villa Tavern Public House, VYSE STREET Public house. 1919-20, with late C20 alterations. By Wood & Kendrick for Mitchells & Butlers Ltd at a cost of 15,000. Red brick with buff terracotta dressings, white glazed brick facing to a rear wing and a Welsh slate roof with end and eaves stacks. PLAN. Prominent street corner building with central servery and surrounding bars; the main bar axial to Warstone Lane. EXTERIOR. 2 storeys and attic. Ground floor to Warstone Lane with a single doorway, 2 windows and a further 3 doorways all under a shallow, dentilled cornice; the doors with square heads and traceried overlights, the windows with flat heads and broad, semi-circular tracery. To Vyse Street a doorway , a bay window (with transom), a further doorway and a window repeating the detail of the Warstone Lane windows; the shallow cornice is also repeated. At the rear 2, 2-storeyed projecting wings, separated by a one-storey link with a skylight placed over a rear bar. First floor with single and triple lights. Minimal pedimented detail to gable on Vyse Street. INTERIOR. Servery with an island bar-back with rich Classical detailing, panelled bar counter. Richly-decorated tilework (by Carter's of Poole, dated 1920) in the corridor from Warstone Lane, the rear bar, the Vyse Street end of the main bar, and to walls flanking the staircase. The decoration varies in different areas with rich swags in the corridor, stair and back bar areas; mainly green and buff tiles below. Over the rear bar fireplace a tiled Arcadian scene. Pictorial tiles also in the southerly entrance corridor from Vyse Street and in the Vyse Street end of the main bar, depicting girls in rustic settings; with multi-coloured tiled surrounds. Dumb waiter in the servery area. Notable display of stained glass especially in the main windows which include designs depicting galleons and flowing foliage. A early and substantially complete example of an inter-War public house in Birmingham, which demonstrates the transition from the late Victorian style, with its emphasis on richly-decorated interiors, to the improved' public house, characterised by architecturally- restrained exteriors. Source: A. Crawford, M. Dunn and R. Thorne, Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939 (Birmingham, 1986), pp. 122-3.
Listing NGR: SP0605587701