This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
The following building shall be added to the list; BIRMINGHAM YARDLEY ROAD SP 18 SW (west side), Acocks Green 13/10069 Baptist Church GV II Baptist church. 1913, by F.B. Andrews for the Baptist Chapel Trustees. Red brick with freestone dressings. Plain tile roofs. PLAN: Broad nave, narrow aisles, transepts, short apsidal chancel and east [liturgical west] entrance. Freestyle.
EXTERIOR: East front has two large octagonal turrets surmounted by louvred bellcotes with cusped bell-openings between thin piers which rise above to the shallow domed top; between the turrets a large deeply recessed Perpendicular window, the turrets forming the jambs; below the window a pent roof porch with a wide segmental arch; both the window arch and the porch arch are deeply moulded and have fleurons. Flanking the turrets are wings with hipped roofs and 4-light windows below the eaves. North and south sides have aisles with lean-to roofs and segment arch windows; similar clerestorey windows above. On the ridge of the roof a fleche with bracketed eaves and snarl dome with trial. INTERIOR: Exposed brick walls.
Narrow 2-bay arcades with double-chamfered 2-centred arches and similar but larger crossing arches to the transepts. Clerestorey. Stone chancel arch. Wide nave with arch-braced roof on corbels; similar chancel roof.
Listing NGR: SP1240683707
Copyright IoE Mr Geoff Dowling. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Dowling, Geoff
Rights Holder: Dowling, Geoff
Brick, Freestone, Tile, 20th Century Baptist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship