The Bellefield Inn Public House

Date:
22 Jul 2001
Location:
The Bellefield Inn Public House, 36-38 Winson Street B18, Birmingham, West Midlands, B18 4JS
Reference:
IOE01/00017/22
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BIRMINGHAM WINSON STREET

SP 08 NW Numbers 36-38

6/6A The Bellefield Inn Public House 17.1.85 II*

Public house and attached outbuildings. C19 with early C20 remodelling by Wood & Kendrick. White painted brick under a Welsh slate roof. End stacks. PLAN. 3 bars clustered round a central servery. Main bar at right angles to the street. Outbuildings at rear. EXTERIOR. 2 storeys. 2 parts axial with the street, the right-hand part lower than the other. To the street windows with a 3-1-3 configuration, separated by Classical pilasters. 3-light window in bar facade away from the street. Angled corner entrance. Sash windows to the first floor. Plain outbuildings associated with former on-site brewery. INTERIOR. The building retains a complete furnishing scheme of various dates from 1887 to 1922. Main bar with strongly three-dimensional Anaglypta ceiling and tiled walls (the latter most probably of 1913 or 1922 when Wood & Kendrick are known to have installed work by Carter's of Poole); the latter with grey-green embossed tiles in the dado, counterchanged with brown plain ones; above buff, brown and green plain tiles. Bar counter and back bar thought to be c.1887; marble shelf to the bar back and coving above with embossed decoration. Rear room tiled throughout, c.1910 with Minton tiles; brown plain and embossed tiles in the dado, predominantly plain dark green ones above, and a frieze of embossed light brown and blue tiles. 4 recesses in the walls conceived as part of the decorative scheme for the display of engravings of popular Victorian pictures (including work by Lanseer, Prentis and Frith.) Doorway with hatch to servery. Small bar area between main bar and entrance corridor with small curved bar counter in an angle. Fixed wall seating. Much C20 stained and patterned glass, with some early 1990s renewals in sympathy with the original designs. Outwardly a modest Birmingham public house of the late C19, but the interior is one of rare lavishness. The interiors are unusual for their remarkable completeness. Source: A. Crawford, M. Dunn and R. Thorne, Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939 (Gloucester, 1986), pp. 86-7.



Listing NGR: SP0384087789

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Dowling_Geoff IOE Records for Dowling, Geoff; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Geoff Dowling. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Dowling, Geoff

Rights Holder: Dowling, Geoff

Keywords

Brick, Welsh Slate, Victorian Public House, Commercial, Licensed Premises, Eating And Drinking Establishment, Recreational, Oubliette, Unassigned, Building, Brewery, Industrial, Brewing And Malting Site, Food And Drink Industry Site