This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SP 08 SE BIRMINGHAM MOSELEY ROAD (East side) 12/10186 Old Tram Depot (West Midlands Travel Engineering Workshops) GV II Includes: Old Tram Depot (West Midlands Travel Engineering Workshops). TRAFALGAR ROAD Former tram shed. now disused. 1906, with mid C20 alterations. Possibly by FB Osborn, who designed the adjacent office range. For Birmingham Corporation Tramways. Red brick with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs with clerestories. Baroque Revival style. Plinth. rusticated pilasters, cornice, pierced balustrade. Single storey. 6 x 9 bays. Windows, mainly boarded, are wooden framed cross casements with glazing bars. Entrance front, to Moseley Road, has elliptical arches with rusticated ashlar heads and double keystones under a continuous cornice. 3 ramped, coped gables, each containing a Oiocletian window with multiple keystones and a round window above, under a pediment. Intermediate pilasters have segmental pediments. In the centre, a narrow recess with a sculpted coat of arms, and to its left, a blank arch containing a roL d arched window. Beyond. on each side, 2 larger arches, one to left blocked, the remainder with rounder-shutter doors. To right again, a smaller blank arch with round headed window. Right return, to Trafalgar Road, has similar architectural treatment. 3 projecting bays, each with pediment and pilasters, containing a tall window, with a Oiocletian window above the cornice. Intermediate bays, divided by pilasters with segmental pediments, each contain 2 round-headed windows. The other sides of the building are common brick, blank. INTERIOR: Mainly lined with white glazed brick, and brown glazed brick dado. Angle-iron truss roof and clerestories, carried on lengthwise lattice girders and rivetted I-section stanchions. Additional single storey internal offices on Trafalgar Road side, mid C20. The tram shed was part of a showpiece service depot for a revitalised tram service begun in Jan. 1907. As part of a scheme of promotional architecture, it received more elaborate architectural treatment than other depots, though its form and construction were similar. The tram shed was adapted for use by buses in 1949, and closed in 1975.
SP 08 SE BIRMINGHAM TRAFALGAR ROAD (North side) 12/10186 Old Tram Depot (West MidlandsTravel Engineering Workshops) GV II See under: Old Tram Depot (West Midlands Travel Engineering Workshops), MOSELEY ROAD
Listing NGR: SP0785584033