This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BARNTON C.P. CHURCH ROAD SJ 67 SW (North Side) 4/10 Christ Church - - II
Church: 1842, chancel added 1900 (Pevsner and Hubbard) , small extension dated 1974. Tooled ashlar pink sandstone, Welsh slate roof.
8-bay nave and chancel in one range. South porch and organ chapel.
Gabled porch has diagonal buttresses and a 2-centred arch on colonnettes with a label mould on carved head stops. Bays of nave are divided by buttresses and nave lancets with label moulds on ball flower stops. Corbel table above detailed towards east end. Gabled chapel has angle buttresses, priest's door, a lancet and a blank trefoil in the gable. East and west ends are kneelered and have triple lancets. Double lancet bellcote at west end.
Interior: simple nave with 2-centred arched trusses on moulded corbels. Gallery at west end on cast-iron columns above vestry.
Chancel roof simpler. Reredos with washed Gothick arcading and carved Last Supper scene. Late Perpendicular or Puginesque stone pulpit with rich gothic detail (now painted) moved here from St Helen's, Witton. Brass Boer War memorial plaque to local soldier.
Listing NGR: SJ6368774795
Copyright IoE Mr R.G. Noxon. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Noxon, R.G.
Rights Holder: Noxon, R.G.
Ashlar, Sandstone, Welsh Slate, Georgian War Memorial, Victorian Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship