This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HARTFORD C.P. SCHOOL LANE SJ 67 SW (East Side) 4/38 Whitehall
- GV II
Formerly villa, now council offices: 1835 by John Douglas Sen., some C20 extensions and alterations. Stuccoed brick, hipped Welsh slate roof. L-shaped in plan. 2-storey symmetrical 7-bay entrance front.
Plinth, end pilasters, band at 1st floor sill level and projecting eaves. Central bay steps forward slightly under a flat triangular pediment and has an Ionic porch antis approached by 3 steps. Within are a pair of half-glazed doors in a simple architrave and apair of semi-circular headed niches to the sides. Recessed 12-pane sash above and in remaining bays where there are recessed fielded panels below sill level on the ground floor. Garden front has a 2-storey canted bay at its centre and a good cast-iron verandah around the ground storey with a tented felted roof. Tripartite windows in the end bays. Wing extends to the right in a similar style. Irregular extensions to the north side.
Interior: entrance into the hall open to the roof and lit by an octagonal lantern with an acanthus boss. Hall contains an open well staircase with delicate iron balusters and a bracketted open string.
Room to right has plaster panelled walls and a frieze and ceiling in early C20 Neo-classical style. Fireplace with giant Corinthian columns. Panelled shutters to deep casements. Room beyond has Jacobean style fireplace with re-used marquetry panels and plaster panelled dado, and a servery with fluted pilasters.
Listing NGR: SJ6413571916
Copyright IoE Mr R.G. Noxon. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Noxon, R.G.
Rights Holder: Noxon, R.G.
Brick, Felt, Stucco, Welsh Slate, Georgian Villa, Victorian Agriculture And Subsistence, Land Use Site, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Local Government Office, Civil, Government Office