This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS4526 BRIDGE STREET 842-1/6/20 (North side) 19/03/73 Bridge Buildings (Formerly Listed as: BRIDGE STREET (North side) Bridge Hall. The Sundial)
Council offices. 1882 by WR Bideford. Carving by H Hems of Exeter. Squared local stone rubble (rough-faced in ground storey with a marked batter below sill-level); details in Ham stone. 4 tall red brick chimneys with tops designed as entablatures, the 3 on the sides fronting Bridge Street and The Quay with pilasters strips on the sides. Plan approximately square with entrance-hall and staircase in centre of Bridge Street side. Renaissance style. 3 lofty storeys on side facing The Quay, 4 storeys to Bridge Street, 3 storeys to Allhalland Street. Main fronts to Bridge Street and The Quay of 6-window range, the 2 middle windows set in slight projections. Front to The Quay has segmental-headed ground-storey windows with moulded architraves and scroll-keystones. Continued moulded sills; entablature above window-heads. Second-storey windows flat-headed with rounded top corners, moulded surrounds and hood-moulds with carved terminals. Below them, panels of carved foliage and cartouches or, in the centre projection, half-balusters. Outer window in third storey have flat heads and moulded surrounds, being finished above eaves-level with shaped pediments. Round-arched windows in centre with moulded architraves and keystones, these flanked and separated by pilasters with carved capitals supporting an entablature and segmental pediment; the latter is a replacement of the original ogee-shaped gable with carved front and small segmental pediment. Beneath the window a pair of stringcourses forming an entablature. Bridge Street front is similar but with less regularity, since both the centre projection and the left side have 4 tiers of windows compared with 3 on the right. The centre projection is finished with a pedestal flanked by scroll-buttresses and carved with a cartouche and swags. An old photograph shows the pedestal, or its predecessor, surmounted by a segmental pediment. The shaped pediments which formerly topped the outer third-storey window have been removed. Between the second-storey windows of the centre projection is a painted sundial, described in the 1973 list as 'from earlier building'; if so, it has been very thoroughly restored. Front to Allhalland Street is plain, though with entablatures, stringcourses and continued sills carried round. INTERIOR: open-well stone staircase with iron balustrade, scrolled at the foot. Plain square-section balusters with S-scrolls fitted in between their tops. On the walls of the compartment, 4 stone coats-of-arms, one inscribed LEWIS BUCK ESQUR. MAYOR 1758. Rooms not inspected. Perkin's Almanack of 1883 (p16) describes this as Bridge Hall. 'Here are held the School of Science and Art classes; the Free Library; North Devon Permanent and Terminable Building Society, the Bridge Feoffee Meetings, etc. etc.' The builder was R T Hookway of Bideford. Plaque in entrance-hall says building 'was rebuilt at the cost of the Bridge Estate... on the site of a Bridge Hall rebuilt AD 1758 and of a Free School rebuilt AD 1657 and repaired AD 1680 and 1780 and of a Grammar School founded AD 1689'. (Granville R: History of Bideford: 1883-: P.103-5; Goaman A: Old Bideford and District: 1978-: 42, 49).
Listing NGR: SS4543726490
Copyright IoE Mr Tim Sanders. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Sanders, Tim
Rights Holder: Sanders, Tim
Ham Hill Stone, Rubble, Stone, Victorian Local Government Office, Civil, Government Office, Sundial, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Ornament, Commercial Office, Commercial, Public Library, Education, Library, Classroom, Schoolroom, Meeting Hall, Public Building, Recreational, Recreational Hall, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument