This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS4526 TORRINGTON STREET, East-The-Water 842-1/7/268 (West side) 04/02/91 Sewer ventilation pipe opposite entrance to Torrington Lane
Sewer ventilation pipe. Probably 1901-2. Engineer was Baldwin Latham of Parliament Manisons, Victoria Street, Westminster; contractor E Ellis of Bideford. Tall iron pipe designed to resemble a Classical column with pedestal, moulded base and enriched capital; halfway up, a moulded band disguising a joint. On top of the capital is an ornate arrow pointing south to indicate the line of the sewer. This in turn is surmounted by a ball with open lugs facing in all 4 directions. On it stands a tall finial encircled with a coronet. The shaft is moulded with the heavily-overpainted name of a Glasgow firm, which appears to be the same as that on an identical pipe at the far end of Barnstaple Street (qv). A third pipe of this type (with no inscription) survives in Ashley Terrace (qv) and there is a fourth (without the coronet) at the top of High Street, this being inscribed W. MACFARLANE & CO. GLASGOW. This pipe and the one at the end of Barnstaple Street probably date from the re-laying of the East-the-Water sewers in 1901-2.
Listing NGR: SS4563826252
Copyright IoE Mr Tim Sanders. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Sanders, Tim
Rights Holder: Sanders, Tim
Iron, Victorian Ventilation Shaft, Unassigned, Shaft, Sewer, Water Supply And Drainage, Water Disposal Site, Watercourse