This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LOWER CHURCH ROAD 1. 5121 (west side) School of Science ST 3161 NE 9/30 and Art II GV 2.
1893 by Hans Price. Coursed rubble with Bath stone dressings and ceramic bands.
Slate roof. In late Tudor/Classical style. Two storeys, 5 bays with panelled and balustraded parapets. Centre 3 raised as full attic with flanking niches and aedicules to parapet, particularly elaborate to centre piece over arched windows.
Centre bay flanked by 2 storey square bays with tripartite glazing. Large pane casement windows, divided on first floor by panelled pilasters with floral caps.
Ground floor windows, transomed with segmental panel motif over heads. Central arched doorcase with enriched terracotta details filling space between bays. North elevation has tall arched studio windows. Tall stone gables divided by pilasters with ceramic panels. Lively use of terracotta and ceramics.
Listing NGR: ST3174461847
Copyright IoE Mr Robert Mair. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mair, Robert
Rights Holder: Mair, Robert
Bath Stone, Ceramic, Rubble, Slate, Terracotta, Victorian School, Education, Training School