This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5224 CHURCH STREET (east side)
Woodward tomb in south-west angle of tower and church SP 1539 SW 9/54
2. Early-mid C18 attributed to Edward Woodward 1766. The best in the churchyard.
Chest tomb with central panelled block supporting an urn. Moulded cornice, godroon cornice. West end panel has high relief scutcheons, sides have 3 out of 4 high relief carvings and central blank panels. East panel to Mary Cooper (died 1833).
The Woodwards were prominent local builders; Bedfont House in the High Street is attributed to Thomas Woodward.
Listing NGR: SP1545539448
Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Freeman, Lorna
Rights Holder: Freeman, Lorna
Stuart Chest Tomb, Georgian Religious Ritual And Funerary, Tomb, Funerary Site