This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS94SW WOOTTON COURTENAY CP WOOTTON COURTENAY VILLAGE
6/124 The Old Rectory
Rectory, now private dwelling. C16 in origin, subsequently much altered, refenestrated and internally altered early C19, enlarged mid-late C19, part of C16 wing demolished late C20. Red sandstone random rubble, part roughcast on south front, slate roofs, hipped and gabled, tall lateral stack rising on north front/ other stone and rendered stacks. Plan: not clear without internal inspection, roughly truncated L-plan of C16 dwelling with H-plan addition on east front. South front: 2 storeys, 3:1:1:1 bays, gabled cross wings to first and third bays right, first floor left 12 pane sash window, two 16 pane sash windows, 20 pane windows in cross wings flanking 12-pane window, ground floor 8-pane sash window, canted bay with marginal glazing bars, entrance, 12 and 20-pane sash windows flanking single storey early C20 glazed loggia infill; open pediment doorcase, panelled reveals, Adam style fanlight, inserted lights in 6-panel door. Rear elevation, 2 moulded beams from demolished cross wing reset in porch. Interior: partially sighted. Stick stair with cut string and mahogany handrail. Roof said to contain 4 collar beam trusses, arched braced with chamfered purlins and windbraces, and another pair of C16 trusses to main block. Various walls abutting the property to the south east and north west are remains of demolished buildings. A terrier of 1614 describes a large dwelling, probably with 2 detached kitchens, and extensive land. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, August 1979).
Listing NGR: SS9380243341
Copyright IoE Mr R.M Rayner. Source Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Rayner, R.M
Rights Holder: Rayner, R.M
Glass, Roughcast, Rubble, Sandstone, Slate, Medieval Vicarage, Tudor Domestic, Elizabethan Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Kitchen, Loggia, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Building, Monument <By Form>, Cross Wing House, Hall House