This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS9646 THE PARADE 900-1/3/90 (North side) 28/10/76 The Market House
Market House. Dated 1902. By WJ Tamlyn. Coursed red sandstone and freestone, banded to the ground floor and central gable, tarred roof with decoratively banded stacks to gable ends. T-shaped plan: council room and surveyor's office built over market hall. Free Style with mostly Northern Renaissance influences. 2 storeys; symmetrical 5-window range. A central diagonally-set square wooden cupola has a clock and weathervane. A cartouche dated 1902 over a truncated gable to the central range has a semicircular-arched opening and is flanked by tall diagonally-set finials and a balustraded parapet. The central window to the first floor has square lights of small panes to the top and curved sides and a single semicircular-arched central pane. This is flanked by small semicircular-arched windows below the finials and freestone dressings to triple-arched windows to the far sides, all with small panes. The ground floor has steps up to c1970 glazed doors under a semi-cicular arch and a balustraded porch with a broken pediment and free-standing columns flanked by bull's eye windows level with the capitals. To the far sides are wide rusticated and banded semicircular arched entrances to the market. The 4-light windows which flank the porch have c1970 glazing. The market hall, to the rear, is lit by a clerestory and has a large semicircular-arched window with small panes to the rear gable end; C20 additions. INTERIOR: the market hall, to the sides and rear of the central office block, has a raised glazed clerestory to the ridge and thin metal ties to the main metal rafters. The rear of the office block, inside the market hall, has a 2-light oriel window with a hipped roof to the first floor, flanked by wide semicircular brick arches with keystones resting on rounded brick piers with moulded caps. The windows to the rear are described above. Stone-flagged floor. HISTORY: the market, established in 1461, was held around the old market cross on approximately its present site in Market House Lane. The old market house building, on the present site was destroyed by fire in 1791. (Binding H: Minehead: A New History: Minehead: 1977-: 32 & 84).
Listing NGR: SS9683146236
Copyright IoE Mr R.M Rayner. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Rayner, R.M
Rights Holder: Rayner, R.M
Sandstone, Stone, Wood, Victorian Market Hall, 20th Century Commercial, Market, Market House, Civil, Public Building, Clock Tower, Unassigned, Tower, Building, Weather Vane, Local Government Office, Government Office, Drawing Office, Commercial Office