The Castle And Walls To The North West And South East

Date:
16 Sep 1999
Location:
The Castle And Walls To The North West And South East, Bude Stratton, North Cornwall, Cornwall, EX23 8LN
Reference:
IOE01/00046/20
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SS 2006-2106 BUDE-STRATTON BUDE

11/158 The Castle and walls to the - north-west and south-east

- II

House. 1830, with late C20 alterations. Built for Sir Goldsworthy Gurney. Stone rubble with hipped slate roofs hidden behind parapet and brick chimneys and slate pots, partly hung with large slates to the rear. Picturesque irregular house.

Piano nobile and basement to main range, 2 storeys elsewhere. Long low asymmetrical front with 3-bay main range and slightly advanced castellated entrance wing to the left with double flight of steps behind piers and walls up to entrance. 2 further set back bays to the left are also castellated. 2 set back bays to the right of the main range and a castellated turret link the main range to a further 2-bay castellated block and a single bay castellated block to the right. Entrance wing and main front 1 + 3 windows, the centre one broken forward with original 6-panel front door on front at right of entrance wing. 3 round- headed basement windows have high transoms and barred glazing in heads. 3 first floor C19 windows are 12-pane hornless sashes, voussoirs repaired with cement.

Platband under parapet with slits is also repaired in cement. Long C19 4-pane sash window in entrance wing to left of front door. C19 horned sashes to right hand wing. Interior altered for Council Offices. Castellated boundary walls to north-west and south-east.

Sir Goldsworthy Gurney, doctor, engineer and philanthropist developed the steam carriage with the intention of improving public transport. Between 1839 and 1842 he was granted a patent for the Bude Light using manganese and was eventually invited to design the lighting and ventilation in the Houses of Parliament. He was also involved in schemes to improve safety in the mining industry. He built the Castle on land leased from Sir Thomas Dyke Acland. The design of the Castle included an early use of concrete foundations to counteract the instability of the sandy site, and it was at the Castle that Gurney evolved the Bude Light. T R Harris. Sir Goldsworthy Gurney 1973-1875, 1975 (The Trevithick Society).

Listing NGR: SS2060606374

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Phillips_Hilary IOE Records for Phillips, Hilary; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Hilary Phillips. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Phillips, Hilary

Rights Holder: Phillips, Hilary

Keywords

Concrete, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Georgian House, Victorian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Gate Pier, Unassigned, Wall, Barrier, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, Boundary Wall, Boundary