This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
795/16/166 ST NICHOLAS ROAD 01-MAR-74 Church of St Nicholas
Parish curch. Rebuilt 1862-4 by Edwin Nash, incorporates monuments from the old building. Dressed flint with stone dressings. Red tile roof. Gothic style. 4 bay nave, chancel, organ chamber and vestry, side aisles, south aisle chapel and west tower. Tower with doorway in west side of it, 4 tiers of fenestration and shingled broach spire. Aisle windows of 3-lights with circular tracery over in pointed heads; 2-light windows to south aisle chapel; chancel window of 5-lights. Gabled porches to north and south sides, south porch with following inscription on bargeboard: "How amiable are thy dwellings thou Lord of Hosts". INTERIOR: nave with pointed arches supported on circular columns with foliated capitals; timber roofs; whitewashed walls. The present structure incorporates a medieval piscina and monuments from the old church including the following; monuments to Joseph Glover 1628, to Lady Dorothy Brownlow 1699, to William Earl Talbot 1782 and to Isaac Littlebury 1740.
Listing NGR: TQ2577264158
Copyright IoE Miss Patricia Philpott. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Philpott, Patricia
Rights Holder: Philpott, Patricia
Flint, Stone, Tile, Tudor Commemorative Monument, Elizabethan Commemorative, Stuart Church, Jacobean Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship