This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST BARNABAS ROAD 1.
4430 Church of St Barnabas TQ 2664 17/165 C 2.
1884-91. Designed by R H Carpenter and Benjamin Ingelow; north aisle added later than the other fabric. Built to serve the New Town District of Sutton and building financed mainly by richer South Sutton families. Red brick with stone dressings.
Gothic style. Nave of 5 bays, chancel of 2 bays, side aisles, south aisle chapel.
Chancel window comprises 5 trefoil headed lights with quatrefoils; window flanked externally by buttresses. Main entrance below west window. An entrance also through a porch in north front to west of a gabled bay and a bell-tower with shingled spire. Aisle windows of 2-lights with trefoil heads. Internally, nave with pointed arches supported by columns with clustered shafts; timber scissors truss roof. Wider pointed chancel arch. Brick internal walls now plastered over.
Stained glass probably dating to 1930s.
Listing NGR: TQ2657464423
Copyright IoE Miss Patricia Philpott. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Philpott, Patricia
Rights Holder: Philpott, Patricia
Brick, Stone, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship