Sutton Police Station

Date:
16 May 2000
Location:
Sutton Police Station, Carshalton Road, Sutton, Greater London
Reference:
IOE01/00053/34
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

CARSHALTON ROAD TQ 2664 (south-east side) Sutton Police Station 795-/17/10000 II Station for the Metropolitan Police. Dated 1908 on hopper heads, the architect John Dixon Butler, police surveyor 1896-1920. Red brick with Portland stone dressings, slate roof partially renewed in modern materials. An L-shaped building; five bays to main two-storey front, with attics and asymmetrical single-storey wing, short four-bay return ending in small three-bay wing, longer four-bay two-storeyed wing to rear. Symmetrical five-bay facade with, at ends, Ionic pilasters and deep modillion eaves cornice. Three central dormers. Regular first-floor fenestration of paired sashes. The ground-floor with canted bays at ends with stone cornices, and central stone aediculed door surround with stepped cornice carved with the word'POLICE' and incorporating three steps and side piers. The freedom of the curves in this doorcase is very typical of Butler's best work. Double panelled doors with small panes of glazing at top. Wing with oeil de boeuf window in gable and three-light rounded bay with sashes either side of secondary door in aediculed surround. Side elevation also with Ionic pilasters and modillion eaves cornice, the regular fenestration interupted by two very tall stacks. An irregular pattern of sashes and round windows at rear. L-shaped wing of four bays with sashed windows to upper floors, the ground-floor with tiny iron glazing bars demarkating the cells. West elevation with four tall stacks irregularly spaced; all stacks have stone copings.

The interior is simple, its cornices now hidden under false ceilings. Sutton Police station is unusual in that its original plan-form survives complete.

Stone piers to front carry the traditional'blue lamps'.

Included as an unusually elaborate example of a Metropolitan Police station built in a suburban area where a more domestic composition could be adopted.

Source: The Builder, 6 March 1909

Listing NGR: TQ2603764013

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Philpott_Patricia IOE Records for Philpott, Patricia; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Miss Patricia Philpott. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Philpott, Patricia

Rights Holder: Philpott, Patricia

Keywords

Brick, Slate, Victorian Police Station, Civil, Legal Site